Salary: $17.50 to $18.50 /hour
Position: Case Manager/Employment Placement Specialist
Program: Alcance, a program of the Community Action Board of Santa Cruz County, Inc.
Hours: Up to 35 Hours per Week
Wage Rate: $17.50-$18.50 per hour to start with an up to 6% merit based increase after 4
months of employment.
Benefits: Medical, dental (employee pays half of dental), vision plan and life insurance,
24 days annual leave to start and 12 paid holidays, and Retirement Plan (401K Retirement Plan after six months of service)
Reports to: Day Worker Center Program Coordinator
Position opened until filled.
Overview: CAB’s Alcance program is one of the six component programs of the Community Action Board of Santa Cruz County, Inc. The mission of the Community Action Board of Santa Cruz County, Inc. is to partner with the community to eliminate poverty and create social change through advocacy and essential services. Alcance provides adult and youth alternatives to incarceration, re-entry, and workforce development services through the provision of employment readiness, training, mentoring and placement. In each of these service areas, the program follows a strengths-based, and outcomes oriented approach and integrates evidence based practices from criminal justice research, advancing employment as one of the most important vehicles for hastening offender reintegration, improving employment placements for the under-resourced, and improving community functioning for participants.
1.) Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
-Work with adults in substance abuse recovery and/or their families to build skills and competency in obtaining and retaining employment by using strength based approaches and methods.
-Facilitate job-training workshops in either groups or 1:1;
-Place job-ready participants in employment.
-Provide ongoing case management support and mentorship to newly placed participants to ensure job retention and to address problems as they arise.
– Communicate appropriately with partners to accomplish program and participant goals.
-Work effectively as a team member with Alcance, CAB, and agency program partners, including attending CAB agency meetings and activities and representing the program and agency in partner/network meetings.
-Assist in maintenance of records, files, and complete regular reports on successes and challenges in job development and placement. Perform data entry including an online-shared referral system.
-Ensure program objectives, outcomes and impacts are met for contract compliance.
-Provide health and Medi-Cal outreach, information, referral, eligibility, access assistance, planning and MAA coordination activities.
– Work with CAB Alcance Job Developer to expand and engage new employers in employment programs.
– Provide financial literacy and capacity information and case management for clients/families.
-Other duties as assigned.
2.) Employment Qualifications:
– Knowledge and experience in substance abuse with adults in recovery and their families.
– Recovery certification preferred but not required.
– Assist with teaching, directing and organizing adults in recovery.
– Understand and maintain informed about local reentry networks and resources.
– Motivate high-risk adults in recovery in reaching their goals and potential.
– Interview, identify and assess needs and barriers to employment and development of meaningful employment plans and opportunities.
– Understand and effectively utilize conflict resolution techniques.
– Employ working knowledge of fundamental principles of human behavior and group dynamics.
– Understanding issues of adult offender community; poverty and cultural competency;
and causes of social problems, including delinquency and crime.
– Establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants, staff and others.
– Work under pressure and with numerous distractions to meet deadlines.
– Assist in coordinating with various county and community agencies.
– Conduct meetings with participants and other social service professionals to evaluate progress and resolve difficulties.
– Communicate effectively with a variety of people from varied economic and cultural
– Recruit business/employers as partners.
– Perform duties safely, responsibly, effectively, and completely.
– Proficiency in computer systems (Microsoft Access, Excel and Word).
– A valid Class C California driver’s license with a clean DMV record and auto insurance.
– BA/BS degree in Sociology, Psychology, Community Studies or Environmental Studies preferred; or demonstrated work experience in similar fields.
– Knowledge and familiarity with the Santa Cruz County network of health, social services and
related agencies as well as geography, preferred.
– Commitment to the goal of empowerment, job training and education of those involved in or at-risk of
involvement in the criminal justice system.
– Availability to work occasional weekend days and evenings
– Bilingual/biliterate (English/Spanish) required.
The hired candidate will adhere to CAB’s standard of upholding the agency’s mission, values and code of ethics through a commitment to confidentiality and communication.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition (cancer related), marital status, sex, sexual orientation, age (over 18), veteran status, gender, pregnancy, or any other non-merit factor unrelated to job duties. AA/EOE